Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas Traditions

Cute Kenna Marie in her Christmas Jammies



Hot Tamales!



Steaming the tamales (I must say, they turned out delicious for my first try)



Christmas Jammies 2011!


When I was growing up I was always jealous of families that had a mom around....especially at Christmas time. It seemed to me that having a mom at Christmas time was so important. Not for presents or anything, just to carry on traditions.
My dad (the greatest one ever to grace the planet)...always made Christmas special for us. We never had a lot of "things", but we have a lot of happy memories. He always made it fun for us and he always made us feel like we were each the only kid he had (there are eight of us). But, being by himself and always working two or three jobs...he just didn't have the time or the means to carry on traditions from one year to the next....Now that I see how hard my husband works and how much time he needs to devote to providing for us, I can appreciate what my dad must have gone through coming home and doing it all alone.
I am so grateful that Jimmy and I have each other and that we have the time to devote to traditions.
Our family has some that we have got from each side of our family and some that we have made during our marriage. This will be our eighth Christmas together!
Here are few of our favorite Christmas traditions:


~Choosing a needy family to gather things and money for
~Eating tamales on Christmas Eve
~Opening up Pajamas on Christmas Eve
~Having a little devotional where we read the story of our Savior's birth and teach the children about Him.
~Opening one present on Christmas Eve
~Daddy goes under the kids window a few min after they have gone to bed and shakes bells....(and then hurries upstairs to screaming children who think they just heard Santa land on the roof).
~Enchilada dinner on Christmas day
~Mommy buys everyone a special book every year
~Daddy buys something special just from him to each kid every year

No comments: