Saturday, October 26, 2013

Preschool

Jimmy and I decided early on that since I was a stay-at-home-mom, we would forgo preschool and I would just do preschool at home with the kids. We know our children will be in school until they leave home (and probably longer) so we want to enjoy their presence in our home as long as possible. I was a preschool teacher's aide from ages to 16-18 and then I was a teacher from 18 until I was too pregnant with Seth to teach, so I knew I could do it...I just hoped I would be as consistent as I needed to be.
 Turns out it has been great! I must admit, teaching Luke and Kenna has been a lot less stressful then when I taught Seth and Sarah....first off, I am not pregnant nor do I have a baby getting into the art projects we do....always a plus ;-) Also, I am a lot more organized at this whole "mom thing" then I was when they were little. I also realize that what every old lady says to me is true ("Enjoy this time, they grow up SO quickly"). I am already the mom of a third grader! Crazy!

I didn't intend to start teaching Kenna this early, but she loves it and is picking up on things so quickly (she also gave up naps right about the time we started this fall).  I think it will be good since she has an August birthday and will be a very young kindergartener if we choose to send her the year she turns five.
Teaching is something I love and it adds such a fun element to our days. We learn a letter a week, do art (I try for 3 days a week), go to story time at our local library, and read tons and tons of books. Sometimes I will just make up a fun game (making a zoo with our animals and blocks, making a masking tape road for our hot wheels...etc). It is such a joy and a blessing to be able to spend my days with these two little people!






No comments: