Saturday, September 12, 2009

Mel's Spaghetti Sauce

So I will let you in on a little secret about myself..I have always wanted to create my own recipe for spaghetti sauce. Probably sounds stupid, ok it DOES sound stupid. But..every woman I know either makes great sauce or they have their mother's/ grandmother's recipe that they use. Since I don't have my mommy around to learn from, and my grandma uses whatever spaghetti sauce is on sale, I have just always wanted to create my own. Well, I have tried different concoctions and recipes but just have never found one I loved. Today I am a changed woman. I have created a sauce that I LOVE!!!! I created it from about three different recipes and some things my sister in law told me she does (thanks Lisa). I hope you have the guts to try my recipe (I know some ingredients sound weird, just trust me). You won't be disappointed (and if you are just don't tell me). Ok, here goes....

Mel's Spaghetti Sauce

Chop: One stalk celery
One large carrot
Two or three garlic cloves
1/2 an onion
(chop the carrot and celery very small)

Saute veggies in two tbsb. olive oil for ten minutes on med heat
Add 1/2 pound lean ground beef
saute until beef is browned.

Add one jar of your fav pasta sauce
1 can tomato sauce
1 large jar baby food carrots
1 can tomato paste
1 tbsp brown sugar

Slice a thin strip of green bell pepper and lay on top
Let simmer for about 45 min

Take out the bell pepper
(unless you love the taste-leaving it in too long will give your sauce too much of a bell peppery taste)

Simmer for about another hour and ta da!!
You have a delicious sauce for all your pasta needs :)



3 comments:

aprilaleman said...

WAY too much work. I go for good ole' Ragu and add in some meat.

Aaron & Jane said...

I'm going to try it. I've been wanting to do a spaghetti sauce from scratch. The question is....Did Jimmy like it??

Evansfamily said...

Yes, Jimbo liked it.